Warm Salad of Winter Radishes, Legumes and Guernsey Girl, Maple and Lemon
For the Salad
- 1 Large Valentine radish (sliced very thin on a mandoline
- 1 Large Misato or green radish (as above)
- 4 Breakfast or Easter Egg radishes (as above)
- 1/3 Cup rinsed canned chick peas
- 1/4 Cup soaked raw green split peas (cooked until just tender in salted water)
- 8 Medium stemmed Shittake mushrooms (seasoned and wilted in a pan)
- 1 Cup of hearty hearts of escarole, torn into small bite-sized pieces
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
For The Guernsey Girl Goodness
- 1/4 Cup diced Guernsey Girl that has been nicely browned in olive oil and drained on paper towel.
- 1 4 oz. Piece of Guernsey Girl ready to be rasped (not grated) over the above salad.
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
For the Salad
- In a hot pan with a splash of olive oil, pan fry the chick peas until nicely charred…but not burnt!
- Place the cooled, roasted chick peas into a bowl. Season lightly with Kosher salt and pepper. Add the rest of the salad ingredients, aside from the escarole.
- **Ultimately, you will dress all of these ingredients along with the escarole with the vinaigrette below.
For the Final Preparation
- Pre-heat a broiler to highest setting.
- Toss the salad mixture, along with the escarole, with the vinaigrette. Gently lay out on a salad plate.
- Rasp the cheese generously and evenly over the salads (1 oz. per serving).
- Quickly broil them until the cheese has just wilted. Top each salad with the fried Guernsey Girl “croutons”.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of “A” grade maple syrup over each salad and serve with a lemon wedge.
Upper Canada Cheese Company http://uppercanadacheese.com/