Guernsey Girl Goes Mediterranean
The idea for this savoury nibble comes from a wonderful antipasto at Tutti Matti. Serve warm walnut bread layered with warmed taleggio and drizzle it all with truffled honey (warmed, of course) - truly to die for. Guernsey Girl would also be wonderful in a sweeter version of this recipe using Fred's Apple Cinnamon bread in place of the Green Olive, toasting it with a little sweet butter, then lots of melted Guernsey Girl and placing a combination of fresh Ontario apples and pears and compose in the centre, drizzled with honey or reduced maple syrup.
- 2cps assorted green and black olives, whole, with pits
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1/2 an orange, zest in thick strips
- 1 tsp dried crushed red chilis
- Healthy pinch of kosher salt
- 1 loaf Fred's Bread Green Olive with Chipotle cut into 3/4" thick slices cut on the diagonal
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 12 oz coarsely grated Guernsey Girl cheese
- 1 fresh red chili, seeds and ribs removed, cut into very fine dice
- 2 Tbsp orange olive oil, warmed
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine olives, olive oil, orange zest and juice, garlic, dried chilis, and salt in frying pan and place over high heat, stir occasionally till fragrant and heated through, set aside and keep warm.
- Brush slices of bread lightly with olive oil and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Toast bread in 400f oven about 3 minutes till just crisp and turn over to toast other side.
- Remove toasts from oven, rub raw garlic clove lightly on toasts, and sprinkle generously with grated Guernsey Girl. Turn broiler on and place toasts under broiler 1-2 minutes or until cheese sizzles.
- Remove toasts from the oven, and place on cheese board overlapping in a circle, leaving open a centre circle of about 4", pour warm olives into the centre.
- Sprinkle all with the diced fresh chilies and drizzle with the orange oil.
- Garnish with fresh whole red chili.
- Serve immediately with chilled white wine and friends.
- *An addition of Marcona almonds to the olives would add another texture to munch.
Upper Canada Cheese Company http://uppercanadacheese.com/